trades training school logo


29 Aug 2023

We get asked about NVQs a lot here at Trades Training School. Here are the main things to consider:

An NVQ is a ‘vocational’ qualification, which means you will already have experience and will be assessed ‘on the job’. This is a qualification obtained by experienced workers who want to demonstrate their existing knowledge and skills. 

It can't be completed in a training centre - if you are starting out, you can complete a course suitable for beginners, then obtain an NVQ when you have gained the necessary experience.

Once you have gained experience, our assessor will chat to you and establish if you're eligible. You'd then attend our centre to complete an induction with the assessor. We will then visit you around three times to assess you working and complete your portfolio of evidence.

It's not necessary to have an NVQ to work in the industry unless you want to work on certain construction sites where this is a requirement. Some employers may want you to have an NVQ but not all – some will even help you work towards it. 

When registered for and working towards an NVQ you can also obtain an ‘experienced worker card’ (CSCS card) to allow you access to construction sites.

If you want to complete an NVQ in tiling, plastering or plumbing, get in touch and we can quickly assess your eligibility and get you started. Drop us an email at [email protected] or give us a call on 0131 6611833.

You can find more information about the qualifications we offer here


Read our reviews on Trustpilot

chevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram